“There is no better way to thank God for your sight than by giving a helping hand to someone in the dark.” It is this saying that gave an impetus to Dr. Kulin Kothari, in 1993 to make India blind free by establishing Vision Foundation of India (VFI). An esteemed ophthalmologist, he started the organization to eradicate curable blindness. Ever since, VFI has been enabling the treatment of destitute from all parts of India.
Vision Foundation of India empowers these people by giving them eye care free of cost, through its art, novel infrastructure and advanced instruments. It firmly believes that lack of money should never be the reason of poor or no vision.
VFI provides free eye checkups and surgeries to the downtrodden of the society. High-quality eye care and innovative medical technology is still beyond the reach of most afflicted people in the country. The foundation therefore renders its helping hand by providing them high quality eye care free of cost, through modern infrastructure and equipments.
Mahatma Gandhi has said “India resides in its villages”, and two third of its population resides in the rural part. In order to bridge this rural-urban divide VFI has steadily increased its reach to the rural parts of India as well. The Foundation has operated lakhs of patients and conducted enormous free eye camps in both rural and urban parts of India. Dr. Kulin Kothari determinedly believes that financial scarcity should never be the reason to a compromised eyesight.
To be the leading force in the fight against preventable blindness in India.
To reach out to deserving and needy individuals suffering from curable eye ailments and to provide high quality, timely and affordable treatment.
- To prevent the occurence of blindness in our country to the extent possible.
- To treat all kinds of curable blindness.
- To establish a network of associate eye hospitals, NGO’s, experts, advisors and volunteers located strategically in various parts of India.
- Rehabilitate visually handicapped persons in situations when permanent blindness cannot be cured.
- We believe that every human being has the right to sight.
- We perceive our work on the basis of equality and mutual respect.
- We work in the spirit of collaboration with local individuals, NGOs, and social non-profit organizations
- We are accountable for our action, honest and transparent in our communication with our supporting foundations, individuals, donors and well wishers.
- We are open minded, creative and thrive for constant improvement.